Help Someone if you are Able

When I was young, I used to thank God every night for all the blessings in my life.  No one needed to tell me I had a good life; I knew it, even if I was not always happy.  After thanking God for it, I would then ask for help using all that I had to help others.

Dear God, thank you so much for everything You have blessed me with in my life.  I have a wonderful life full of so much more than I truly need.  Please help me to use these gifts to help others who do not have as good of a life, so they may be happy too.  I understand suffering is an inevitable part of life, but please, at least let their basic needs be met.  Let them not worry about food, water, shelter, security, safety, or love.  I have so much more than I need, but there are others suffering all over the world.  Help me help them, please.  Amen.

Now that I am older, not much has changed.  I still feel like those who “have” ought to help those who “have not” in any and every way possible.  Not all the necessities of life are tangible; sometimes the best gift is simply to help someone understand they are not alone and that people really do care.  Truly, I do feel that as a human being, I am partially responsible for the “uncontrollable” situations of other human beings, be them tragic or brilliant.  Nothing I do to help others is done with the motivation of social recognition or reward; to me, it simply is what needs to be done.  This does not make it a chore in any way; rather, it is a part of life, like eating and sleeping.  Help someone if you are able.  Not everyone is able to do so, and I fully recognise this fact.  What truly bothers me are those who can, express the desire to do so, but never actually make an effort.  Words are merely sounds; it is our actions that truly define us.

The world is a harsh, cruel place and one person will not be able to change the world alone.  But one person can make a difference.  Even a tiny raindrop can ripple out and effect the entire pond, yadda yadda yadda.  If you are looking to change the world, get  your head checked.  If you are looking to make a difference, then go out there and change your world.  Change what you see around you, what you see everywhere you look.  When something bothers you, instead of just complaining, do something.  My only fear is dying with the regret that I should have done more to help others.  I cannot change the world alone, but I can try to change my world and everything in it.  Letting opportunities to do so slip away, now that is what scares me.  I leave you now with a great quote from the Declaration of Arbroath, one of the most important documents of Scottish independence.

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
~ Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

1 comment:

  1. I feel sad that you feel responsible for the uncontrollable factors in people's lives. You cannot be responsible for other people's lives. You can feel responsible for lending a hand, but you do not control the sources of their situations. To think that would seem rather arrogant.

    I propose that you do this because if you did nothing you would feel like you weren't doing what needs to be done. Thus your selfless needs are for selfish reasons.

    ReplyDelete